libecap-1.0.0 not compatible with ppc64le architecture

Madhu Pavan kmp at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jan 17 17:30:42 UTC 2014

On Friday 17 January 2014 04:43 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 01/16/2014 03:15 AM, Madhu Pavan wrote:
>
>> libecap-1.0.0 could not be built on ppc64le because it had an outdated
>> configure/config.guess/libtool.m4. Since your pkg uses libtool and the
>> latest tarball of your pkg didn't build on ppc64le due to outdated
>> libtool present on your system. We wanted to request you to upgrade your
>> libtool to the alpha release of libtool which has all the bits and
>> pieces needed for ppc64le support.
> It is unlikely that we will post official libecap releases based on an
> *alpha* release of libtool. In general, I would worry that using an
> alpha libtool version would cause more troubles than the lack of ppc64le
> support. However, we are not libtool experts, and if you have good
> reasons to believe we should use that alpha software, we will certainly
> consider your arguments.
As far as my knowledge is concerned there is no trouble in using alpha
libtool. When we approached libtool maintainer to release new version
which supports it's functionalities in ppc64le architecture, he accepted
our request and promised us that his next release will support ppc64le
architecture along with some additional features/improvements. In the
mean while he made a alpha release which adds it's support to ppc64le
architecture.
>> 2) New libtool alpha release which supports ppc64le arch is available,
>> you may  pick up the alpha release from either of the below :
>>
>> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.gz (1.6MB)
>>
>> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.xz (920KB)
>>
>> It would be great if you can install this new libtool which supports
>> ppc64le, and spin the pkg and let us know the new tar availability. We
>> can test it on ppc64le architecture for you. Please let me know if you
>> are planning to release or spin newer version.
> Yes, we can give you a tarball for testing, but have you considered
> running bootstrap.sh yourself? If you can bootstrap libecap sources with
> the alpha libtool and test the results yourself, then it may reduce the
> number of iterations and reduce turn around time.
This package works fine with ppc64le architecture after running
bootstrap.sh using alpha libtool. So, can I expect a quick release which
we are willing to test it on ppc64le architecture for you.

Thanks,
Madhu Pavan Kothapally.